أخبار العالم

I’d be ‘very, very disappointed’ if North Korea’s rebuilding rocket site

[ad_1]

President Trump said Wednesday he would be “very, very disappointed” in North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un if reports about rebuilding at a rocket launch site in North Korea were accurate.

“I would be very disappointed if that were happening. It’s a very early report, and we’re the ones that put it out. But I would be very, very disappointed in Chairman Kim. And I don’t think I will be, but we’ll see what happens. We’ll take a look. It’ll ultimately get solved,” Trump said during an unrelated White House event celebrating the return of an American who had been held hostage in Yemen.

“We have to solve a problem. We have a very nasty problem there. We have to solve a problem. The relationship is good,” Trump continued.

Though the president stated that the US released the news about the rebuilding, it was initially reported by South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, and confirmed by a pair of US think tanks.

Yonhap reported Tuesday that work was underway to restore part of the Sohae Satellite Launching Station even as Trump met with Kim at a second summit in Hanoi last week.

The North began work to dismantle a missile engine test stand at Sohae last year after pledging to do so in a first summit with Trump in June.

A second summit between Trump and Kim broke down last week in Hanoi over differences on how far North Korea was willing to limit its nuclear program and the degree of US willingness to ease sanctions.

Satellite images seen by 38 North, a Washington-based North Korea project, showed that structures on the Sohae launch pad had been rebuilt sometime between Feb. 16 and March 2, the project’s Jenny Town told Reuters.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank released a separate report, also citing satellite imagery, that concluded North Korea was “pursuing a rapid rebuilding” at the site.

The development marked another bump in the road for the president, who after his first summit with Kim declared that the nuclear threat from North Korea no longer existed.

Last September, he said after an exchange of letters with the murderous dictator that “we fell in love.”

While the rogue regime has stopped testing rockets and bombs, it has continued to develop its nuclear program, according to analysts.

Even the US intelligence community unanimously agreed that the North continued to pose a threat to the US in its annual threat assessment, a finding that reportedly irked the commander-in-chief.

With Reuters

[ad_2]
Source link

مقالات ذات صلة

زر الذهاب إلى الأعلى
إغلاق