Follow us on Twitter: @foods4health1
To learn more about the health benefits of food, visit: http://www.benefitsoffood.blogspot.com
Jicama is a sphere shaped root vegetable that is consumed around the world and used in a variety of cooking recipes. It is well known for its sweet and pleasant taste and crunch texture. Not only is it used in is number of different recipes, but it is also well known for its high levels of nutrition and immune boosting effects. Now, lets discuss some of the incredible health benefits of consuming jicama regularly.
1. First, jicama is a good source of many types of different vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that play an important role in our overall health. More specifically, it is a great source of vitamin C, along with magnesium, iron, potassium, folate and vitamin B6. It is also a great source of dietary fibre, antioxidants and is low is calories.
2. Not only is jicama high in nutrition, but it also contain several potent and powerful antioxidant compounds. This is important for our overall health since these antioxidants help to reduce free radicals in the body, reduce oxidative stress and also reduce the risk of developing different types of disease. Jicama is packed with vitamin C, as well as other antioxidants such as selenium, beta-carotene and vitamin E. Jicama is also high in plant compounds that are beneficial is this regard and can help to prevent cell damage.
3. Regular consumption of jicama can also help to improve and boost overall heart health while also reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The high levels of soluble fibre it contains can help to regulate and lower cholesterol levels. Studies have shown that fibre can decrease both total cholesterol and “bad” LDL cholesterol levels. Jicama is also a great source of potassium, which can help to regulate and lower blood pressure and improve the overall health of the blood vessels. Not only that, but it can also help to improve circulation and reduce inflammation that can damage the cardiovascular system.
4. It can also help to improve overall digestion and improve the functioning of the digestive system. This is often attributed to its great levels of dietary fibre. These high levels of fibre found in jicama can help to increase bulk and allow food to move through the digestive tract more efficiently and smoothly. Also, jicama contains a unique compound known as inulin, which studies have shown can promote bowel movements and help treat constipation.
5. Lastly, consuming jicama regularly can help to improve gut health. Again, this is due to the unique compound inulin, which is well known as a prebiotic fibre. This compound, along with other prebiotics found in jicama can help to increase good bacteria in the gut and allow it to thrive while also decreasing unhealthy bacteria. These healthy gut bacteria can help to improve digestion, boost immunity and can even help with weight loss and weight managements. Foods rich in prebiotics such as jicama cam also help to lower the risk of developing chronic disease such as diabetes or heart disease.
Thank you for watching the video! Please like, comment and share. If you would like to hear about more healthy foods, and food and beauty tips, please subscribe to the channel. Have a GREAT and HEALTHY day!
DISCLAIMER: This video is for educational and informational purposes only. While we have tried to ensure that the information is sound and accurate, we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The information in this video should not be substituted for professional medical advice and opinions. If you are experiencing any ailments, serious or otherwise, always seek professional medical treatment and advice.