The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson has finally given his thoughts on JJ Abrams’ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
Johnson directed the 2017 instalment of the Star Wars saga and made some bold choices which divided fans.
But speaking to MTV News on the 2020 Oscars red carpet, Johnson revealed he loved watching The Rise of Skywalker.
“I had a blast, man,” Johnson said. “Made me so proud seeing the heart and soul that JJ put into it.
“And seeing my friends who were in the movie just, like, bring the whole thing to a conclusion. Yeah, for me as a Star Wars fan, it was a really special experience.”
Previously, Abrams said he wasn’t “trying to repair” Star Wars after The Last Jedi.
“I never found myself trying to repair anything,” he said in September. “If I had done VIII, I would have done things differently, just as Rian would have done things differently if he had done VII.”
Meanwhile, Johnson is busy working on the sequel to his Oscar-nominated Knives Out.
On Tuesday (February 11), the film’s Twitter account sent out an open call for sequel name ideas, tweeting: “Alright we need title suggestions for the sequel! Drop em!”
And the fans’ ideas appear to have impressed Johnson, who later tweeted: “I have been reading these all day and gotten zero writing done.”
Earlier this week, the director admitted that he hasn’t actually started writing the follow-up yet, but he did reveal that Daniel Craig’s character will be the only one who returns for the sequel.
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is out now.
Digital Spy now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
Want up-to-the-minute entertainment news and features? Just hit ‘Like’ on our Digital Spy Facebook page and ‘Follow’ on our @digitalspy Instagram and Twitter accounts.