Robinson Cano hears the boos. He knows what is being said.
The trade, bringing him and closer Edwin Diaz to the Mets from Seattle this offseason for two former first-round picks along with Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak, has been a flop. It has set back the Mets. And Cano has a message for the many detractors of that move.
“But remember,” Cano told The Post before the Subway Series opener at Citi Field Tuesday night, “the season isn’t over yet.”
Cano, who went 2-for-3 with a walk in the Mets’ 4-2 win, faced the Yankees as a Met for the first time, after missing the opening two games of the Subway Series at his old home in The Bronx last month due to injury. The 36-year-old second baseman was looking forward to seeing some old friends, but he was more excited about continuing his recent hot stretch and helping the Mets continue the good feelings from Sunday’s victory over the Braves that snapped a seven-game losing streak.
Mission accomplished on both counts.
“I’ve been hitting the ball right at guys. Now it has started falling, which is different,” Cano said before the win. “But I’ve been feeling good at the plate.
“Every time I start to feel good,” Cano added with a laugh, “I always get hit in the hand.”
Indeed, Cano has run into some tough luck. He’s twice been hit on the hand. He has also missed 21 games due to a quad injury. That included the first round of the Subway Series, which added a little extra to Tuesday night’s game for him.
“It makes it fun when you play against friends,” he said, listing CC Sabathia, Gary Sanchez and Gleyber Torres as Yankees with whom he is close.
Though it is a short sample size, Cano has begun to hit. He has four multi-hit games in his past four starts and five in his past six. Cano’s slash line of .243/.293/.372 is still hardly what has been expected.
“That’s not who I am. I know fans always want to see the results. Even myself, you don’t want to hit line drives and makes outs,” he said. “I’m the kind of guy I never doubt myself.”