A baby died after a botched attempt to circumcise him at home — the third such tragedy in Italy in recent months, local media reported.
The baby’s 25-year-old mother called emergency services in Genoa, Italy, on Tuesday but the child was dead when they arrived, according to ANSA.
His Nigerian mother and grandmother have been taking in for questioning, while the father was outside the country, according to the report.
Investigators reportedly believe someone else carried out the circumcision and are trying to trace them through phone records of the baby’s family.
It is the third case in Italy in recent months.
Last month a five-month-old baby died of cardiac arrest following a botched circumcision in Bologna, and in December a 2-year-year-old died of severe blood loss from a similar home-op in Rome. In that case, the toddler’s twin brother nearly died too, but was saved.
Italy’s Roman Catholic majority doesn’t practice circumcision but many immigrants in the country are Muslim and perform the procedures for religious and cultural reasons. Circumcisions are costly, and many doctors refuse to perform them on boys younger than four.
Yassine Lafram, the head of Bologna’s Islamic community, previously said any such death “pains us deeply.”
“We firmly condemn these irresponsible gestures and we hope that they never happen again,” Lafram told ANSA.