This is one of the famous and delicious dish in the Iraqi cuisine. You will find this dish in any Iraqi gathering along with Dolma, White beans stew and other delicious Iraqi food. Usually is made for occasions and parties for your loved one. I learned this recipe from my mom. She is the best cook. Thank you Nana for teaching me so many delicious iraqi dishes. Love you and God Bless you Nana.
1 whole chicken (clean and cut into pieces. Cook in the water with 1 Tbsp salt. keep the broth for rice cooking. Remove the bones from the chicken and shred into big pieces.
2 big potatoes or 4 meduim peeled and cut into small cubs and fried in deep oil until golden brown.
1-2 cup raisins and slivered almonds fry in a little oil until golden brown
2 cups frozen peas. Cook according to the bag instructions. Or you can use cans.
1 Tbsp beryani spices ( available at middle eastern store preferably Assyrian or Chaldean store)
1 tsp Safflower mixed with 1/2 cup of warm water. Safflower
is almost same as saffron but less expensive.(Available at middle eastern store preferably Assyrian or Chaldean store). Or you can use saffron or yellow food color
1 tsp black pepper.
1 tsp cardamom for extra flavor(optional)
1 tsp cinnamon for extra flavor (optional)
2 tsp salt or to taste. You can always adjust the taste.
4 to 6 boiled eggs cut into wedges or leave as is. Depend the number of the people.
3 cup rice washed and soaked for 15 minutes.
½ cup oil .
4 ½ cup of liquid (hot chicken broth +boiling water).
– Put oil in a large pot and heat the oil for a few minutes then add the drained rice and all the spices and stir for a few minutes.
-Add the yellow liquid.
– Add the chicken broth and the water and cook on high heat. The liquid level should be 1/4″ inch on the top of the rice.
– Adjust the salt and spice to your taste.
– Bring to boil on high heat when the liquid is almost gone lower the heat to the low set and cook for about 15-20 to minutes. After the time is up mix the rice gently. Check the rice it may need more time to cook.
– After the rice is cooked you can now add half of the prepared filling. The fried potato, the fried raisins, the fried almonds, the cooked peas , the meatballs and the chicken and mix all together very gently.
-Serve in a big plate and decorate with the rest of the filling and boiled eggs and serve with salad and vegetables pickles. You can also serve this with Iraqi white beans stew.
How to make small meatball:
1/2 lb Ground lean meat
1/2 tsp salt
1-1 1/2 tsp all spices or 7 spices
1-2 garlic cloves minced
Mix all the ingredients very well and make small meatballs.
Fry them first in pan on a low-medium heat then add a little of water then cover and cook for 10 minutes until fully cooked and browned a little.
Note:- For easy Beryani, you can buy a rotisserie chicken from the market and in this case you cook the rice with ready chicken broth from the cans. Put the ready cooked chicken pieces on top of the rice. Don’t not mix it with rice. like in the last picture 🙂
Tweets by 2087061