PALOS VERDES, Calif. – Baylor women’s golf is tied for eighth place after shooting 20-over-par 304 in Sunday’s first round of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes Golf Club.
The Bears are ahead of seven teams, including five of the nation’s top-20 ranked squads. BU (+20) leads Oklahoma State (+21), No. 3 Florida (+22), No. 42 Colorado (+23), No. 20 Florida State (+23), No. 5 Alabama (+23), No. 19 Washington (+24) and No. 8 Arizona State (+32). Baylor is tied with No. 26 Furman (+20) and trails No. 12 UCLA (+7), No. 13 Stanford (+11), No. 2 Texas (+14), No. 1 USC (+15), Ohio State (+15), No. 14 Wake Forest (+16) and No. 9 Arizona (+18).
Baylor was led by junior Erica Chiang, who birdied her final hole to card a 4-over 75, tied for 17th place in her first appearance in the BU lineup. Sophomores Gurleen Kaur and Diane Baillieux both shot 5-over 76 to tie for 30th place, while senior Maria Vesga posted a 6-over 77 to tie for 41st place and freshman Emma Bradley shot 9-over 80 to tie for 69th place.
- Four Baylor players made birdies on their final holes of the day, with Vesga on No. 15, Baillieux and Chiang on No. 16 and Bradley on No. 17.
- Baillieux and Chiang tie for the team lead with three birdies apiece, tied for eighth-most in the 84-player field.
- Baylor leads the 16-team field in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.87
- BU ranks seventh in the field with a 20-over 4.36 par-4 scoring average and 16th with an 11-over 3.55 par-3 scoring average.
- BU is tied for fifth in the tournament with nine birdies as a team.
- Chiang is tied for second in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.33, while Baillieux is tied for sixth at 1-under 4.67.
- Kaur leads the team and is tied for 12th in par-4 scoring at 2-over 4.18.
- Vesga and Kaur are tied for the team lead and tied for 15th with 12 pars.
STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Baylor players made four birdies on par-5 holes in the first round, accounting for nearly half of the team’s nine birdies on the day. Baillieux and Chiang both birdied Nos. 7 and 16, and their three birdies apiece tied for eighth-most in the first round.
Monday’s second round is scheduled for an 11:30 a.m. CT shotgun start. Baylor players are paired with golfers from Ohio State, Wake Forest and Arizona. Kaur and Chiang will start on No. 6, Baillieux will begin on No. 7 and Bradley and Vesga tee off from No. 8. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.