The third Monday in January is known as the gloomiest day of the year – but it doesn’t have to be with our mood-boosting treats
WE all need a little lift sometimes.
The third Monday in January is often called “Blue Monday” — the gloomiest day of the year, thanks to debt, grim weather and the holidays being a distant memory.
But don’t get too down!
Check out these great deals to boost your mood . . . without busting your wallet.
- BERRY GOOD. Nibbling on blueberries and strawberries can make you feel better, thanks to their high levels of antioxidants and ability to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Pick up a punnet of Morrisons’ Wonky Strawbs for just £1 instead of paying £2 for perfectly shaped ones.
Dark chocolate is another mood booster. Get Bellarom Premium Dark Chocolate 74% for 89p at Lidl — a steal compared to Green & Black’s, £2 at Waitrose.
- RUN AWAY. Exercise is the best way to lift your spirits. A brisk walk each daily will give you an endorphin fix.
But if you fancy hitting the gym, Virgin Active has a good offer on at the moment. Join now and you will pay nothing until March, with no joining fee. Monthly fees for membership vary.
Pop to Wilko for its new fitness range and pick up a gym bag for just £5.
- CHUCKLE LOVERS. Laughter is the best medicine — so try to catch some comedy.
At groupon.co.uk, offers include two tickets to the ROFL Comedy Club in Stoke-on-Trent — with prosecco thrown in — for £22, down from £35. Or try buyagift.co.uk, where it is £15, down from £32, for a pair of tickets to one of six comedy clubs around the country.
- SWEET DREAMS. Getting a good eight hours of sleep a night will perk you right up.
But let’s be honest — in the real world, that is not always possible.
This Works’ Pillow Spray (£18, feelunique. com) is popular.
But I prefer to dab Holland & Barrett’s £4.94 lavender oil on my wrists before bedtime to get much the same effect.
And “sleepy tea” — soothing bedtime brews available from various brands — can work wonders too.
- PRICES correct at time of press. Deals and offers are subject to availability.
How to book Hols from £9.50
All you need to do is collecting TEN Sun Savers codes or TEN tokens or codewords printed in The Sun. The next round starts in 2019 – between Saturday, January 5 and Tuesday, January 29.
If you’re collecting Sun Savers codes: ENTER YOUR CODES HERE
If you’re collecting tokens or codewords use the booking form or book online at thesun.co.uk/holidays
- Price per person based on four sharing. Subject to availability. Terms and conditions and date restrictions apply. For full T&Cs see thesun.co.uk/holidays.
SOOTHE your stomach with Tesco’s Peppermint 20 Tea Bags, not Teapigs’ far pricier effort.
Shop & save
TREAT yourself to a tasty burger, fries and a soft drink at Gourmet Burger Kitchen for just £9.95 with its bargain “All Rounder” deal.
SAVE: Up to £5.15
Deal of the day
THIS is heaven scent. At The Perfume Shop, Roberto Cavalli Nero Assoluto EDP was £64, now £27.99. Until Wednesday.
CHOC lovers! At Tesco, Cadbury Freddo bars are 10p this week, down from 26p.
Reader’s saving tip
SUSAN SCRIVENS of Rushden, Northants, says: “When you buy a garment with a spare button in a pouch, remove it and sew it on to the wash label so you don’t lose it.”
- Send your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
My Sun Saver’s fiver
CLAIRE HIRST, from Blackpool, says: “I save up my Savers fivers and, if I forget a birthday, I have plenty of spare funds to use.”
- Send us your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
Join thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.