Jewish Food: Chicken Liver With Gribenes Fried Onions And Mushrooms With Roasted Potatoes. This is a traditional Jewish comfort food and I promise if you try this you will LOVE it! The recipe can be found below. Enjoy!
The Knives I Use In My Kitchen
The Gear I Use To Sharpen My Knives:
DMT W6X: http://amzn.to/1anfp2A
DMT W6F: http://amzn.to/15hhl74
DMT W6E: http://amzn.to/1bSILDL
DMT W8CXNB: http://amzn.to/19gxz4y
DMT W8EFNB: http://amzn.to/129DEJP
DMT W250CXNB: http://goo.gl/eS2Tu
DMT D8EE: http://amzn.to/16FW1LO
Spyderco 302UF: http://amzn.to/18Xq59O
Spyderco 302U: http://amzn.to/18XqbhG
Surgical Black Arkansas: http://amzn.to/129FPNu
Chicken Livers with Gribenes and Potatoes
Ingredients for the potatoes:
2 Lbs. small redskin potatoes washed and dried clean.
4 Tbsp. olive oil.
1-2 Tsp. dried rosemary.
1-2 Clove garlic minced.
Salt and black/white pepper to taste.
Method for potatoes:
In a plastic bag (or bowl), put the olive oil and rosemary.
Now add minced garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
Whisk all these ingredients around to blend the rosemary and garlic flavors with the olive oil.
Depending on the size of your potatoes, cut in half or quarter to get a uniform size so they will cook evenly.
I like them about 1-1/2? to 2? pieces.
Place them in your bag or bowl and make sure to thoroughly coat them with the flavored olive oil.
Pour entire bag/bowl including rosemary into a baking dish.
Bake at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until they are as browned as you like.
Note: We are cooking the potatoes first because they take 30-40 minutes and in that time we will make the rest of the meal.
RICHARD BLAINE’S Chicken Livers With Gribenes And Potatoes
1 Lb. Chicken livers cleaned and patted dry
1 Lb. Chicken skin for making gribenes
1 Cup flour with
1 Tsp. salt
1 tsp. black or white pepper.
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1-2 Brown onions slivered
5-6 Cloves of garlic finely minced
5-10 Boiled red potatoes skin on or off is your choice
1 Lb. Crimini mushrooms sliced thin.
Salt and black or white pepper to taste.
Before cooking the chicken livers and the onions and mushrooms we will cook the potatoes first by roasting them.
1. Rinse and clean your chicken livers and get rid of any excess sinew.
2. Pat the chicken livers dry and set aside on a plate with paper towels make sure you pat them dry.
3. Take 1 cup AP flour and add salt and pepper and garlic powder or Old Bay to taste and set aside. (This is optional)
4. Boil your potatoes al dente and then set them aside to cool a bit and then slice them 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
NOTE: Or you can also cut and coat your potatoes in olive oil and spices and roast them in oven while to do other chores.
5. Mince your garlic and sliver your onions and then set them aside to be sauteed.
6. Now cut your chicken fat into small pieces and place in a large skillet on high to get them going and then reduce to medium.
7. Cook the skin until you have little golden brown pieces then fish them out of the skillet and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain and set them aside.
8. Drain the excess chicken fat from the skillet into a small bowl we will be using some for other chores.
9. In the same skillet add little olive oil lightly and a little of the chicken fat and saute your onions add some minced garlic and saute until they are fried brown and set them aside on a plate with paper towels.
9. In the same skillet add some olive oil and some chicken fat if need and saute your mushrooms and add some minced garlic until they have just cooked and softened and remove them and set them aside with your onions.
10. Time to fry the chicken livers:
Take the flour and put in a plastic bag with your salt, pepper and garlic powder/granules. Dredge the livers in the bag of flour and other ingredients. Add 3- 4 cups of oil to a large sauce pan and deep fry for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.